Assistant Professor of French
Northwestern University’s Department of French and Italian invites applications for a tenure line appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in Early Modern French and Francophone literature and culture (particularly in 17th and/or 18th centuries), to begin September 2017. Applicants must demonstrate evidence of outstanding research and teaching abilities as well as native or near native command of French. We are especially interested in scholars whose work in the period is informed by the methodologies of queer/gender and sexuality studies, popular/mass culture, performance studies, and political theory. A complete dossier including a letter of application, a CV, a writing sample (no longer than an article or dissertation chapter), and three letters of recommendation (sent separately) should be submitted by November 15, 2016.
AA/EOE. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States. For questions please contact Elizabeth Murray.
Please APPLY HERE.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF.
However, the first method is preferred because it retains text recognition capabilities.
3. Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation.
NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., Interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address
in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors, otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
4. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
- The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article or book chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample need be submitted.
5. When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by November 15, 2016 will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
If you have any questions about submitting your application, please email Elizabeth Murray, or call 847-491-5491.